Residency, Visas and Permits for Americans in Spain:

Americans on Spain, who are visiting for a period less than three months, can travel visa free. However, Spanish authorities may require proof of funds or a return or onward travel ticket.

If a visit needs to be prolonged, an Extension of Stay, of no more than an extra 90 days, may be applied for with the Spanish Immigration Authorities. This extension of stay must be applied for at a police station, at least 3 weeks before the expiry date of the original entry visa.

Exit permits are required if a US Citizen overstays the permitted time in Spain. These are obtained from the Director of Security in Madrid. Please be warned that fines may be incurred.

Americans in Spain, who intend to study, reside or work, for more than 3 months, must obtain the appropriate Visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their state/country of last residence. Once the appropriate visa has been issued, you have 3 months to apply for the correct permit via the Spanish authorities in Spain.

Due to complicated and often changing regulations, it is advisable to check the Minister of Interior Website or call 060 (toll free within Spain).

Validity of US Driving Licences in Spain:   

As a visitor to Spain, a US Citizen is allowed to drive, provided you carry a valid US driving permit and an IDP (International Driving Permit) which has been issued prior to arrival in Spain.

As no agreement currently exists between the US and Spain, a US Citizen who becomes resident in Spain must apply for a Spanish driving licence.

For details of English speaking driving course in the Malaga province, please Click Here.

To visit the Spanish Traffic Authority (DGT) Website Click Here

For further assistance, do not hesitate to Contact Us.

The following two tabs change content below.

Lisa Sadleir

Founder at Family in Spain SL
Lisa is a reputable relocation consultant and personal property finder. She assists families and professionals in making the best decisions when purchasing property and planning their move to Spain. Experienced in NIE and residency issues, Spanish bureaucracy and property purchase procedures.



move to malaga

Thinking of Moving to Spain? Purchasing Property in Spain?

Receive One Tip a Day for 7 Days for Free!

On Day 7 you will receive 3 FREE GIFTS that will save you money on your Spanish property purchase and/or relocation!


We make moving to Spain and purchasing property easier and safer for you!


Thank you for signing up for our 7 Tips

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This