healthcare in spain

When planning your move to Malaga, you need to be aware of your entitlements to healthcare in Spain and the various options available to you and your family. Your residency application will be rejected if you do not have the correct healthcare cover in place.

In this post, we will talk about:

  • A great Healthcare in Spain Website, supported by the British Embassy
  • Simple instructions to follow to check if you are entitled to State Healthcare in Spain
  • The Spanish equivalent of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

What is the Healthcare in Spain website about?

The EHIC Campaign is a joint project between the UK Department of Health and the Valencia Health Authority, and is partially funded by the European Commission. The campaign will look to inform British nationals in Spain about the correct way to use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and inform those who don’t have entitlement to use the card how to get themselves correctly registered.

The EHIC Campaign’s main objective is to increase awareness among British nationals in Spain about their rights – and obligations, when living in or visiting Spain and in line with EU Regulations.

The Department of Health is specifically working along with the Valencia Health Authority (VHA) due to the high number of British Nationals visiting and living in this area, compared to the rest of the Autonomous Communities in Spain.

healthcare in spain

What are the aims of this new Healthcare in Spain website?

As part of the EHIC Campaign, the website has been developed to let you know about:

  • Who is and who isn´t entitled to use a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in Spain;
  • What cover the EHIC gives you while on a temporary visit in Spain;
  • How to correctly register for state healthcare in Spain if you are living here on a more permanent basis.

For the facts, how you should apply for healthcare in Spain, read the questionnaire HERE.

For details of your entitlements and the correct steps to take, to ensure you receive the healthcare in Spain you are entitled to, visit the page HERE.

Follow these simple instructions to check if you are entitled to healthcare in Spain …

This online system has been designed to allow people to check if they are entitled to healthcare in Spain . You can check if any citizen is entitled to health care in Spain, either in their own right or as a beneficiary.

Unlike many online services in Spain, a digital certificate is not required to access this system.

Instructions to check online if you are entitled to healthcare in Spain:

Access the Social Security website page HERE

1. Click the button “Acesso al servicio and then  “Consultar derecho asistencia sanitaria” and complete the required data. Once completed, you will be provided with a reference number.

social security check 1

NOTE: Ensure your details are entered exactly as they appear on your social security paperwork.  All non Spanish residents will have an NIE number not an NIF. Your social security number (Número afiliación S.S) has 12 digits. Note the date format for date of birth (Fecha de nacimiento) , 5th December 1960 will be written as 05/12/1960.

social security check 2

This second section is to be completed if you are checking the status of a beneficiary.

Once all the details have been completed, click “Consultar

2. Check the answer by either of the following ways:

– Access the service again, ( Click Here )  click the button “Ver resultado consulta” and enter your reference number. Note that the system will generate the information required approximately 15 minutes after your initial request.

social security check 3

Where appropriate, you will receive the information requested via email. This information will be available for consultation, quoting your given reference number, for a period of 30 days. After this time you will have to make a new request for the information and get a new reference number.

If you are not entitled to state healthcare in Spain, we can provide you with competitive quotes for private health insurance, simply Contact Us Here.

healthcare in Spain

The Spanish equivalent of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is the Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea (TSE).

If you are resident in Spain, have a Spanish social security number (No afiliación S.S.) and you are paying your contributions into the Spanish Social Security system, you should apply for this card.

If you are traveling back to the UK, or to any other European country, on holiday, on business or to visit family and friends and require medical assistance, presentation of the Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea will entitle you to receive medical assistance, free of charge.

Please be advised, however, that this does not entitle you to travel to a country specifically to receive medical treatment.

You can apply for the Spanish EHIC card online HERE, or alternatively visit your nearest social security office, presenting your Spanish Tarjeta Sanitaria and they should issue you a Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea on the spot.

Being a British passport holder no longer entitles you to free healthcare in the UK. Failure to present your European Health Insurance Card may result in you receiving a bill for any medical treatment received.

For UK Residents, please note:  The UK EHIC is valid for up to five years and can be used while valid during a temporary stay within the European Union. Check that your EHIC is still valid before you travel. Renewing your card is free and can be renewed up to six months before the expiry date. Apply for an EHIC online here.

IMPORTANT: We would like to point out that UK Pensioners living in Spain, in receipt of a UK pension, need not apply for the Spanish Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea. As quoted by the British Embassy “Since 1st May 2010, the UK is responsible for issuing the EHIC to UK pensioners resident in other EU countries.” European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) are issued by The Pension Service in Newcastle upon Tyne to all UK expats in receipt of a UK pension.

For further information on this subject, you may like to visit The NHS website

There is, however,  an exception to this:

If you are in receipt of a UK pension and are actively working in Spain (ie. contributing into the Spanish Social Security system) , you will need to apply for the Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea via the method described above.

Please be advised that our Relocation Packages include assistance with your health care options … we make is easier for you!

Sign up for our FREE Hints and Tips and let’s start this exciting journey …

How can we help you?

Leave this field blank

Our expert team is ready to help you with whatever you need to ensure your property purchase or relocation to southern Spain is a stress-free and enjoyable experience!

Simply complete this contact form and we will be in touch to arrange an initial consultation to assess your requirements.

Your Contact Details …


Which package are you interested in?

This includes property PURCHASE with a minimum 500.000€ investment.
This includes property PURCHASE and relocation assistance.
This includes property PURCHASE only.
This includes relocation assistance and property RENTAL search only!
This includes relocation assistance and property RENTAL and/or PURCHASE.
If you are not sure which package is best for you, simply tell us in the comment box below.

Please add any other questions in the Comments box below …