Move to Spain from Canada

The First Step For Your Move to Spain From Canada:

Making the move to Spain from Canada is a pretty straightforward procedure. However, ensuring you have the correct paperwork is fundamental for a successful move.

If you are a non-EU citizen, due to strict immigration, you are only entitled to stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days.

To stay longer than 90 days, a Canadian citizen can choose to apply for a non-lucrative visa or a Golden visa. The Golden Visa involves purchasing a property to the value of over €500.000 (Read more details here).

Let us look at the application procedure for a non-lucrative residence visa for moving to Spain from Canada …

About the Non-Lucrative Visa:

These visas make it possible to move to Spain from Canada. They allow the holder to remain in Spain for more than 90 days without undertaking any type of work or professional activity.


The procedures and conditions for issuing these visas are set out in Organic Law 4/2000 of January 11th (Articles 30 bis and 31). They were approved by Royal Decree 557/2011 of April 20th (Articles 45 to 49).

Foreigners subject to the requirement of this visa:

All foreign nationals who wish to stay in Spain for more than ninety days per semester, without undertaking any type of work or professional activity must have this type of visa. This does not apply to citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland.

Place of application

You apply in the Spanish Diplomatic Mission or Consular Office for the area where you reside. The consular jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Spain in Montreal covers the provinces of Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Québec (except Gatineau), and Newfoundland and Labrador.


The visa must be requested and collected in person. The application may also be submitted by a duly authorised representative under duly accredited exceptional circumstances. The required fee must be paid at the moment the visa is requested. Fees will not be refunded in the event the application is refused. If the applicant travels with the family, each member of the family must present an independent visa application. The documents you enclose, to prove the relationship (marriage or birth certificate, as the case may be, must be duly legalised and translated).

Visa application

The visa application must be submitted on a duly completed application for national visa form (original and copy). You can download this free of charge from this web page or can also be obtained free of charge from the Consular Office.

The application must include a recent full-face photograph, a Canadian passport size. It must be in colour, on a white, plain, and uniform background. You shouldn’t wear dark glasses or any garment that may prevent identification of the applicant.

Documents to be enclosed with the application

Applicants shall enclose the original and a copy of the following documents with the application:

  1. A completed and signed application for a residence authorization form (Download form EX_01)
  2. A completed and signed fee payment form for an initial temporary residence authorization (Download form 790, code 052). This form must be obtained from the Consular Office.
  3. A valid passport with a minimum validity of one year.
  4. If the applicant is not a Canadian citizen, he/she must provide documentation proving his/her residence status in Canada. (permanent residence permit, working permit, study permit, etc.)
  5. Negative criminal record issued in the last three months by the authorities of the country or countries where you have resided in the past 5 years, including Canada. Criminal records issued in other countries must be legalised with the Apostille or by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of those countries and by the Embassy or Consulate of Spain in those countries.
  6. Medical certificate issued in the last three months by your family doctor. It should include the following text: “This medical certificate confirms that Mr. / Mrs. does not suffer from any of the diseases that can have serious implications for public health in accordance with the provisions of the 2005 International Health Regulations”. This certificate must be issued in a letter format and must include the official stamp of the medical center or the doctor.
  7. Evidence of economic means sufficient to support your stay. To support your family, during the stay length you are applying for, without working. For your support: 2,400€ per month. For the support of each member of your family: 600€ per month. (correct as per January 2024)
  8. Medical insurance subscribed with a company legally entitled to operate in Spain.
  9. Look up the consular fees chart to know the amount you must pay. ONLY cash, money order or certified cheque payable to the Consulate General of Spain will be accepted.
  10. A prepaid XPRESSPOST envelope if the passport is to be sent outside Montreal.


The delay for a residence visa is three months.

Visa issue

The visa issued will have a validity of three months and fifteen days, with multiple entries and 90 days of stay in Spain.

Collection of the visa

The foreign national must collect his or her visa within one month of being notified that it has been granted.

Entry into Spain

The foreigner must entry into Spain during the period of validity of the visa.

Foreign National Identity Card (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero)

The holder of a residence visa must obtain a foreign national identity card within one month of his or her entry into Spain. Foreigners who are granted a visa to stay in Spain for a period exceeding six months must apply for a foreigner identity card at the corresponding Foreigners Offices and Police Stations within one month from the date of arrival. Foreigner identity cards are not required to holders of visas issued to carry out seasonal work.

Schengen Space

Foreign nationals who hold a valid long-term national visa can move freely through the other Schengen States for a maximum of three months within any six-month period, so long as they meet the entry conditions.

If you are planning on moving to Spain from Canada, as soon as you have your non-lucrative residence visa, we will be available to assist you with local procedures in the regions of Malaga and Costa del Sol, and also Alicante and the Costa Blanca.

Leave this field blank

Our expert team is ready to help you with whatever you need to ensure your property purchase or relocation to southern Spain is a stress-free and enjoyable experience!

Simply complete this contact form and we will be in touch to arrange a FREE initial consultation to assess your requirements.

Your Contact Details ...


Which package are you interested in?

This includes property PURCHASE with a minimum 500.000€ investment.
This includes property PURCHASE and relocation assistance.
This includes property PURCHASE only.
This includes relocation assistance and property RENTAL search only!
This includes relocation assistance and property RENTAL and/or PURCHASE.
This includes relocation assistance and property RENTAL and/or PURCHASE.
If you are not sure which package is best for you, simply tell us in the comment box below.

Please add any other questions in the Comments box below ...


For more information or any clarification, please contact the Visa Department at the Consulate General of Spain (Tel: (514) 935-5235, ext. 224)