TIE application UK citizens

NEW Procedure JULY 2020: Spanish TIE Application for UK Citizens

The TIE (TARJETA DE IDENTIDAD DE EXTRANJERO) is in addition to the  old “Residency” certificate for British Passport Holders

Following the UK’s future departure from the EU, on December 31st 2020, all UK passport holders moving to Spain, from July 6th 2020, no longer apply just for a “residency” card but also for a TIE, similar to other non EU citizens.

Unlike the old-style residency cards, the TIE can be used as an official ID in Spain as it shows your photograph and fingerprint. The card contains your ID details such as your NIE number.  

How to make an appointment for your residence document and submit your TIE Application…

If you are a UK passport holder and do not already hold a residence certificate, your first step is to make an appointment in the immigration office in your province. ie. On the Costa del Sol, you need to go to Malaga Capital.

All appointments are made via the official government website. Use this link or in MALAGA via telephone: 952 98 04 60.

PLEASE NOTE, the biggest challenge is you now need to prove income/wages/pension received in a Spanish bank account BEFORE you can start the application process.

What documents do you need to take to the Immigration Office?

  • A valid passport
  • A completed EX20 application form  
  • A Padron Certificate from your local town hall. (Issued within the last 3 months)
  • An NIE certificate (if you have one) 

For pensioners: 

  • An S1 form from your country’s social security/health department 
  • A bank certificate from your Spanish bank account, showing the minimum balance and payments made in Spain over the last 3 to 6 months.

For people without employment:

  • Private medical insurance with no “excess” payments (contact us for more details on this)
  • A bank certificate from your Spanish bank account, showing the minimum balance and payments made in Spain

***The amounts required as a minimum balance in the account, prior to appointment, are :

For people in employment : 

  • A recent  (vida laboral) working life certificate with at least a minimum of 50% of the legal working hours. 
  • A valid work contract. 
  • Proof of income as per the table shown above

For self employed workers (autónomos): 

  • A recent  (vida laboral) working life certificate showing you have registered as self employed in Spain
  • The official forms  “Modelo 036 or 037” (your gestor will supply you with these)

PLEASE NOTE: In MALAGA, you must go alone to submit this application. You are not allowed to take a translator nor a relocation consultant with you. An online application can be submitted by a professional.

It is advisable to use the services of our selected Lawyer to carry out this procedure for you.

When will you know if your application is successful?

A successful application for a residence document will be issued within a maximum period of three months.

IMPORTANT: You must apply for your TIE within ONE MONTH of receiving your residence document!

How do you make an appointment for your TIE application?

Please note that the TIE application must be made in person in the province in which you are residing. 

All appointments are made via the official government website. Use this link

Follow the instructions on each page to book your appointment.

NOTE: One appointment must be made per application. i.e. a family with 2 adults and 2 children must book 4 appointments.

What documents do you need to make your TIE application?

  • A duly completed application form – Download the form here EX23 Original and copy.
  • A valid passport.  (Original and copy of) *If the passport is expired, you must provide a copy of it and the renewal application. At the time of collecting the card, the Passport must be valid (original and copy of the biometric page).
  • Proof of payment of the fee Model 790 Code 012 of the Ministry of the Interior. The current tx is 12€. The copy must be correctly printed in its entirety, not admitting in any case prints in which the bottom of the document does not appear, in which the annotation “Copy for the Administration” appears. Download the form here Model 790, code 12 . The option that must be checked to pay the amount corresponding to this Foreigner Identity Card is “Tarjetas de identidad de extranjeros (TIE) y certificados de registro de residentes comunitarios.”.
  • A photograph, following the requirements established in the regulations for a national identity document. A recent color photograph of the applicant’s face, size 32×26 millimeters, with a smooth white background, taken from the front with the head completely uncovered and without dark glass glasses or any other garment that may prevent or hinder the identification of the person. (The photograph must clearly show the oval of the face, which includes eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth, and chin, and it must be of high resolution and on good quality photographic paper).
  • A current padron certificate, issued by your local town hall (issued in the last three months). Original and copy. (NOTE: You only have to do this if your address is not the same as on your residence document)

Minors must be accompanied by their duly accredited legal representative and with original and current identity documentation, or by the person empowered by them.

When will you receive your TIE card?

Upon completion of a successful TIE application, you will be issued a document that you must keep safe until you return to collect your original TIE card. This process is currently taking around 3 to 4 weeks.

Please note that your fingerprints are required to collect your TIE so you must collect it in person. You cannot authorise anybody to collect it on your behalf.

This TIE residence document will be valid for 5 years and the word “Temporary” will be in the field corresponding to the Type of Permit. 

IMPORTANT: Please note that this information was confirmed via a local, official source on August 7th 2020. We will update and amend the information if we learn anything different.