To apply for your NIE in Malaga Capital, as an EU resident, you submit your application at the Comisaria de Policia on the corner of Calle Juan 23 and Avenida de Andalucia.
You do not need an appointment. However, you must ensure you have your application form carefully completed and have all the required documents.
The office is open from 9am until 2pm.
Steps to submit your NIE in Malaga application:
- If possible, get there early. People are in the queue from before 8am sometimes!
- Stand in the “publico” queue on the left side as you face the entrance (the right hand side is for people with appointments!)
- Ensure you have a correctly completed EX15 form and a duplicate copy. Your passport and a copy.
- Be prepared for a long wait. Sometimes it is quick but sometimes you can be there for a few hours.
- Once the doors are opened, go inside and request the form to pay your taxes (modelo 790). If you can pay this in advance, even better!
- Take the tax form to the Unicaja bank behind the Comisaria (see the map) Pay the tax and return to the queue with your stamped piece of paper.
- Once you hand over all the paperwork, your details are entered into the computer. You will be given a slip of paper and told when to return to collect your NIE certificate.
NOTE: If you are traveling from central Malaga, from the bus station on Calle Alameda you can take the bus number 20 to La Comisaria de Policia. If you are driving, there is a large car park behind the Comisaria building.
IMPORTANT: If you are staying in Malaga for more than 30 days, you should apply for a residency certificate, not NIE. Click the link below to read more …
***IMPORTANT UPDATE APRIL 2016: Please note that appointments are now being gives. On your first visit, you will be given a date and time to return, with all the paperwork prepared as above. So, on your initial visit, it is not so important to get there too early!***
Latest posts by Lisa Sadleir (see all)
- To Rent or Buy Property In Malaga: My Advice To You - March 28, 2019
- How to Apply for Your NIE in Alicante - February 7, 2019
- Buying Real Estate In Spain: Buyer’s Agent Spain & Buy To Let in Spain - January 31, 2019